27. Numbers and statistics
1. 1,000,000 h. a million(often written 1m)
2. 1,000,000,000 g. a billion(often written 1bn)
3. 1,000,000,000,000 c. a trillion
4. 1% a. one percent
5. 0.1% f. “naught point one percent”
6. 0.01% e. “naught point oh one percent”
7. 0.001% d. “naught point oh oh one percent”
8. >1 i. greater than 1
9. <1 l. less than one
10. >1 j. greater than or equal to 1
11. <1 k. less than or equal to one
12. 1k b. a thousand
1. 3-2 d. three minus two
2. 3+2 f. three plus two
3. 3*2 e. three multiplied by two (or three times two or three by two)
4. 3/2 c. three divided by two (three over two)
5. 3*3 g. three scared
6. 3*3*3 b. three cubed
7. 3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3 h. three to the power of ten (or three to the tenth)
8. a. the scare root of three
1. “Three plus two equals five.” Which is not possible?
a. equals b. makes c. is d. comes to e. does
2. Which is not a very usual way to say $7.90?
a. seven ninety b. seven dollars ninety c. seven dollars and ninety cents d. seven point nine dollars
3. In PC Planet, the Micron X9000 desktop computer ______ $999.95.
a. is fro sale at b. retails at c. is bought at
4. I will work it out and give you the ______ tomorrow morning.
a. figures b. numbers c. numerals
5. “I do not care how you worked it out. Just tell me the bottom line.” Bottom line
a. amount of profit b. final result of a calculation c. total losses
6. What is the best way to say email@example.com
a. “Anna point brown at global industries dot com”
b. “Anna dot brown at global industries dot com”
7. Alan earns f10k a year, Bella earns f20k a year and Cathy earns f60k a year. What is their mean annual income?
a. f20,000 b. f30,000 c. f60,000
8. Reference code 14/689G. What is the best way to say this?
a. “fourteen slash six eight nine G” b. “fourteen, six hundred and eighty-nine G”
9. The subtotal of credit is f8m and the subtotal of debit is f10m. what is the total?
a. “less two million pounds” b. “negative two million pounds” c. “minus two million pounds”
10. In most English-speaking countries, how do you write “minus two thousand five hundred and seventy”?
a. -2,570 b. 2.570- c. -2,570
11. Which two are not another way to say “about fifty”?
a. around fifty b. fifty-ish c. fifty,up or down d. fifty, more or less e. fifty or thereabouts f. fifty or so g. in the region of fifty h. on the fifty i. fifty, give or take