29. Financial idioms and expressions
1. We will have to tighten their belts. Rich/Poor.
2. He is raking it in at the moment. Rich/Poor
3. They are very hard up. Rich/Poor
4. He is finding it hard to make ends meet. Rich/Poor
5. She is absolutely loaded. Rich/Poor
6. They are a lot better off than most. Rich/Poor
7. She is rolling in money. Rich/Poor
8. He has fallen on hard times. Rich/Poor
9. They have got money to burn. Rich/Poor
10. She seems very down at heel. Rich/Poor
11. We are totally broke. Rich/Poor
12. The do not have two pennies to rub together. Rich/Poor
1. Since the merger was announced, the share price has gone crazy. Up/down
2. Following the news, the share price has gone through the roof. Up/down
3. As a result of the strike, the share price has gone through the floor. Up/down
4. We believe the share price has hit rock bottom. Up/down
5. The share price has been going up and down like a yo-yo. Up/down
6. A lot of investors have lost nerve. Up/down
7. News of the takeover bid has caused a lot of investors to get cold feet. Up/down
8. Investors are queuing up to buy shares. Up/down
9. Shares in the new company have been changing hands for silly prices. Up/down
10. Those shares? You can not give them away. Up/down
11. The collapse EnTek has had a knock-on effect on our share price. Up/down
12. After two years of bad news, the share price has finally rallied. Up/down
1. “In the end” means your bank accounts is overdrawn. “In the _____”means your account is in credit.
a. blue b. black c. green
2. They are a very rich company. $10,000 is just _______ to them.
a. small money b. coins c. loose change
3. At the moment plasma-screen TVs are a _______ on the market. Everybody who wanted one has now got one.
a. glut b.surplus c. excess
4. Suppliers have been _______ the market with cheap MP3 player.
a. filling b. flooding c. dumping
5. The market for holiday apartment rentals is now _______.
a. over-full b. too many c. saturated
6. The new computer game console has been a huge hit. Just before Christmas, you could not get one for _______.
a. gold b. diamonds c. love nor money
7. The publishers of School for Wizards have ________ the book’s success, and have negotiated a series of lucrative merchandising deals.
a. maximized cash with b. cashed in on c. cashed up
8. Following the success of Banco Credito’s internet share-trading service, a lot of other banks have jumped ______ and launched similar services.
a. on the bandwagon b. into the sea c. onto the table
9. In those days, you could buy a house for $50,000 and let it out for $800 a month. It was a license to _______.
a. make money b. mint money c. print money
10. If we want a new photocopier, we will have to ask Resource Manager. She _____.
a. holds the purse strings b. guards the money c. opens the purse
11. It does not matter how much we spend on designing the front cover. Money is ______.
a. no limit b. no object c. no maximums
12. a large payment to somebody when they leave a job is called a ______.
a. golden goodbye b. golden hand c. golden handshake
13. I get an accountant to fill in my tax return for me. I do not have a very good ____ for figures.
a. mind b. brain c. head
14. Do I have any savings? Yes, I have got a little put by for a _______.
a. rainy day b. bad day c. hard time