181. It is a family business. 这是家传生意。Family business
182. pep talk,
talk。pep rally，啦啦队的人带领全场的人为自己的队伍呼喊鼓气。例如：老师鼓励学生：“Life is not measured by
the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath
away.” – George Carlin
183. tough, 坚硬的，（肉）很老的，也表示一件事不容易。That will be a tough sale.要让人接受你这个方案不会那么容易。I toughed it out 我硬挺过来了。
184. I have been totally sold out to your idea.
我100％地赞同赞同你的意见。我完全为你的主意所折服。类似的话还有If you are not careful enough, you
will buy into his bad idea. 如果你不小心的话，你就会采纳他的这馊主意。
杀手，a serial killer连环杀手。口语中killer有好几个意思，1.“迷人的”，a lady killer,
叫女性痴迷的人，如007类的人。2. Killer career, 成功的事业：As women started to build
killer careers of their own, males started to feel the pressure.
当女性开始建立起她们自己成功的事业时，男性也就开始感到了压力。He has really lots of good Ideas and
tactics for a killer career. 3. 不错，好看That laser light show was killer!
现在好些网虫给自己起网名为killa, killah, killor, 等。
186. Bigwig 有钱人，老板 This is a retreat only for bigwig. 那是给有钱人玩的度假村。
187. edge 是个常用词，“边缘，刀刃”，口语中有另外几个意思：take the edge off, 减轻， Have an
apple. It’ll take the edge off your hunger for a while. 先吃个苹果，垫垫底。His
apology took the edge off her anger. 他道了欠后，她的怒气也就消了不少。 This music
collection will take the edge off summer heat. 这个歌集会给你的酷暑带来凉意。
The memorial service didn’t bring my husband back to life, but it took the edge off my sorrow. 追悼会没有让我丈夫死而复活，但给了我很大的安慰。
on the cutting edge： 处于最前端，The young people are on the cutting edge of this tecknology.
on edge, 直译是站在悬崖处，意思是“很紧张”，The players were all a little on edge before the big game. 在大赛前，选手个个都显得很紧张。
have the edge on (over someone/something ) Democrats now have the edge in the Senate. 民主党在参议院里现在略有优势。
On a knife edge: 处境艰难，危险She’s been living on a knife-edge since her
ex-husband was released from prison last month.
从他前夫上个月从监狱释放后，她的生活就一直受到极大的威胁。The theatre is on a financial knife-edge
and must sell 75% of its seats every night to
复习：这句话在前面一节里提到过：You must rent this video. It keeps you on the edge of your seat right up to the end.
188. ruffle someone’s feathers 引起不快，引起争论
He wasn’t asked to speak at the conference, and I know that ruffled his feathers a bit.
Her book ruffled a lot of feathers and put the idea of "beauty as bondage" on the fast track of social issues.
189. "a blessing in disguise" 伪装的祝福，或因祸得福，有塞翁失马之意。
My computer broke down again, but maybe it was a blessing in disguise;
I’ve been wasting too much time online chatting anyway.
Persecution by the government
on Christians is a blessing in disguise; it actually strengthed the
body of Christ. 政府给基督徒的逼迫实际上是一种伪装的祝福，逼迫使基督的教会更加坚强。
190. a piece of cake, 很容易就能完成的事，易如反掌。Do you think you can win the game? A piece of cake. 你觉得能赢吗？小菜一碟。
191. cookie-cutter 同样的模式的，千篇一律的
The architects were determined that it wouldn’t be just another cookie-cutter mall.
Management too often uses a cookie-cutter approach to solving problems.
192. You can be loose in our house. I am loose.
在我家你可以很随便，我是一个随便的人。还有一个成语：loose as a goose, 进而发展出loosey-goosey：“Despite
the pressure, he was loosey-goosey throughout the
game.”尽管压力很大，他整个球赛打得都轻松自如。They are having a loosey-goosey time.
193. I would like to touch base with you. 我想跟你保持联络。
194. the end of one’s rope, = out of options: Having tried everything
he could think of to get admitted to law school, Robert finally found
himself at the end of his rope. 也可以说：at my wits’ end,
sb/sth in 把。。排进来(时间表、或其它) ；参加 You tell me when you are available, I
will plug you in.告诉我你什么时间有空，我就给你排上。The best way to study English is to
plug in a program. Pull plug on 对付 The net police is pulling plug on
those pro-democracy articles on net.
196. sure thing 可以，肯定可以。表示赞同，有人也会说：sweet.
197. “他退步了，后来有了很大的转变”英文如何说？He got backslidden,but he has had a great turn. Backslide 退步，下降，堕落。
198. suck: suck up 这个栏目里已经提到了好几个拍马屁的词汇，suck up 是另一个：She’s always sucking up to the boss, telling him how wonderful he is.
The public school sucks. 公立学校最烂。 This bike sucks. 这辆自行车不好骑。I don’t want to get sucked in that scheme. 我才不想给弄到那个鬼计划里去呢。
In winter, this area will be sucked in heavy snow.
199. This costs only five bucks, you cannot beat that. 这才五块钱，你无论如何也不可能找到比这更低的价了。
It appears to be a one-time blip in the historic trend.